Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Eluded City


There was once an empire

In history incorrectly shown

Its court a place of religion

Its people humans as their own


There was that old empire

Vultured by foreign religion

Eaten by ignorance

Brought down by its own


Ruled from the city of palaces

A city unrivaled in the world

Its end it met in mutiny

An emperor's ghazal's forgotten word


Ruins that were made with time

Ruins that should have been restored

But whatever that was left of it

We learnt with care to ignore.


It had its last Rajah

The last of the lost empire

Old with wisdom he was exiled

From his beloved land he loved


Zafar, what must you think?

Lying alone in a grave in Rangoon

How must you see the city now?

The city forgotten so soon.


You must wonder

What I made of it

As I often dream

Of your shining glory


Tears I must have given you

But tears also for me I made

What a wonder this city was

Look what of it I did create


Zafar, Oh! mighty Mughal

Resurrect that eluded greatness

If not in reality

Then in my dreams.


No comments: