Monday, May 02, 2011

What Would You Believe?



There had been only two rings. He was praying the operator take the call. Just take it right then. Without delay. He was sweating as he prayed. Shivering. Squashed in his closet, he just hoped that they would come before…

- Yes Sir, how may I help you? The bored voice of a young girl painting her nails asked in an inhuman, distant tone. A programmed voice of flesh.

- There is a burglary going on in my house, there are two big sharks. I think they will kill me if they find me. I am hiding in my closet. His voice was shaking, as he whispered in to his cell phone. Fear had taken over him. He was dreading to be found by the sharks. Please send the police urgently. Please. He begged.

- Sir?

- Please! He whispered in his desperation. Wet in his sweat by now.

- Ok, Sir. I’ll see what I can do. Even more distant now. Pranks of the night; she thought.

The operator hung up, and laughing, told the girl sitting next to her about the call. And then with tortoise fingers alerted the paramedics, instead of the police.

By the time the paramedics arrived, the house had been cleaned up. There were marks of saline water all over the carpet as they entered. Wet. The rooms smelt of sea fish. Damp and salty.

They searched the house, and found a body in the closet. Torn to pieces. A sharp broken shark tooth stuck to a piece of flesh from the upper body.

Surprise.

No comments: